About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States
A graduate from Brown College with a BS in Game Design & Development. Excelling in 2D Concept Art with a good handle of 3D Modeling in 3dsMax. An eager learner and detail oriented towards artistic solutions -- "Facilitating the creative evolution from concept to completion."

Thursday, October 16, 2008

DING!! You Have Achieved Level 24!!

24 and a year closer to a nice cozy coffin/urn/mangled vehicle... >.>


What have I been doing this past year?
  • Working on my CompTiA A+ Certification. Certificates are always a nice plus on a resume next to that Bachelor of Science in Game Design & Development (which I whole heartedly believe wasn't for naught).
  • Hopping back and forth from one project to another on a near daily basis... damn ADD >.<
  • Applying to every job I can get my hands on, but in this (Crutch Alert!!!) economy hiring is few and far between (not that minimum wage is bad, its just... minimum wage).

As a gamer what have I been doing this past year?
  • I haven't touched a PC/X360 game in nearly a month or more.
  • Eagerly anticipating the releases of Fable 2 (the Limited Edition version which i pre-ordered, optimistic that I'd have a job by now :\ ), Gears of War 2, and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Champions Online and CoH/V Issue 14 are on the short list).


All in all I think I've come out of this year breaking even, but falling in the red just might be inevitable.  As I look around at childhood friends, they have let their dream jobs pass by in favor of stability and practicality, in effect abandoning their dreams...

Is it wrong to except anything less than your dreams for your career?
Is it wrong to believe that the "American Dream" is still possible, just not probable?

If so, I don't know why I'm still "alive" and why I'm fighting the norm to be a hamster tapped on a wheel for eternity.  Idealist? Dreamer? A resounding YES on both counts.  Unrealistic? Perhaps, but to be "unreal" is to dream beyond reality, to hope for something outside of a 5'x5' box.



An interesting comparison of me a day after my 21st birthday, 3 years ago:


No comments: